New! Lean Problem-Solving for Team Members and Leaders
My problem-solving course was one of the first I developed. With the following fourteen courses I significantly improved my course development skills. I have now completely re-recorded and revised this course. It now include practice assignment, quizes, and new sections. It is designed to be used by all team members, as well as the team leader, so they can all contribute equally to problem-solving and continuous improvement.
It covers the following topics:
- Principles of Lean Problem-Solving
- Brainstorming – Learning to Think Together
- Cause-and-Effect, Affinity Diagrams, Pareto Analysis
- Situation Analysis
- Root Cause or the Five Why’s
- The Eight Step Toyota Business Process
- The Plan-Do-Study-Act cycle of Continuous Improvement
- A3 Problem-Solving
- Analyzing and Improving Human Performance
This is available for only $10.99 for each student, for lifetime access to the course at any time, anywhere, on any device. Simply use this Coupon Code.
Leadership Development Online
Over the past three years I have worked to develop high quality online learning experiences. The future of training and development is a combination of online-learning, action-learning and coaching. In other words, a process of blended learning that recognizes the value of both online and on-site learning.
I now have fourteen courses available on Udemy, all available below for $10 each. These are lifetime subscriptions providing 24/7 access on any connected device, anywhere in the world. Several of these courses are best sellers on Udemy, which now has more than twenty-five million students.
All of my courses incorporate the principles and practices of lean management but focus on the people skills side or the culture of lean.
“Thank you very much. You have certainly given me lots to think about and apply. I will tell you that as a former business trainer, I love that you really raised the bar for virtual facilitation and webinar settings. I felt your instruction held my attention very well and you kept it moving. Great follow up system too. Thanks.” Jennifer (Udemy student in Motivation course).
“I just finished your course and I did leave a review but just wanted to message you, to tell you, thank you for the course. I mentioned on the review but the company I work for went from a complete zoo to a respectable place to work in just under 2 months and it was mainly because of this course and your info. People have complemented me on the great job I have been doing and I do owe it to you so thank you! I will be doing your other course and you should continue doing more courses because you are a great teacher!” Kevin Mohammed, student in Management Skills: Essential for the New Manager
Comprehensive Leadership Development Courses
Lean Leadership, Lean Culture, and Change Management
This course is based on his practical field tested knowledge of lean culture and leadership. The course introduces the history of lean, the essential principles and practices, and the important functions of the lean leader. It also presents the two critical paths to lean implementation: first, the redesign of processes, systems and structure to create the foundation that enables teams to engage in continuous improvement; second, it presents the essential habits of teams and team leaders engaged in problem-solving and continuous improvement. Simply put, the student completing this course will be able to institute lean culture and lean leadership.
What Will I Learn?
- The student completing this course will have an understanding of lean culture and lean leadership (Toyota Production System) and will be able to institute lean culture in his or her workplace.
- The student completing this course will be able to eliminate waste and engage his or her team members in an on-going process of continuous improvement (kaizen).
- In many oranizations, instituting lean culture and processes requires a redesign of the social and technical systems of the organization. The student completing this course will know how to institute a process of redesign.
- At the heart of lean culture is the natural work and management team who engage in continuous improvement. The student completing this course will know the essential problem solving methods employed in continuous improvement and will be able to lead his or her team in continuous improvement.
Leadership Skills: Leading Teams to High Performance
The Complete Team Leadership training course, 74 lectures, 14.5 hours of material. This is the ideal course for both team leaders and team members seeking to establish continuous improvement in the natural work team structure and within leadership teams. Note: This course now includes a complete ebook – “Team Kata – The Habits of Continuous Improvement”
What Will I Learn?
- Lead teams in continuous improvement of their processes.
- To develop high performing teams, team leaders, and team coaches.
- Motivate and manage the performance of teams and their members.
- Solve problems in a systematic, fact-based manner.
- Learn the communication and facilitation skills that are essential to leading people and teams.
Management Skills: Essentials for The New Manager
Most new managers have the technical skills to succeed. What they most often lack is the skill of managing, motivating and developing their employees. This course is organized around three critical blocks of skills: First, managing and motivating individuals; second, leading high performing teams; and third, engaging their people in the continuous improvement of work processes. If a new manager can master these skills their success is virtually guaranteed. 82 Lectures, eleven hours of content, plus thirteen action-learning exercises and available Green Belt Certification.
What Will I Learn?
- Motivate your employees and create high engagement and empowerment.
- Provice specific job training for your team members and motivate your employees.
- Lead teams to become high performing teams engaged in continuous improvement.
- Understand and develop “lean management” problem-solving and process improvement.
- Resolve conflicts with others and among team members.
“Thank you so much for putting this together! I really enjoyed your approach using real world instances both in work and personal scenarios. I don’t know you but it is evident that your approach to team management has been influenced not only by training and consulting, but also heavily by your experiences as a parent, and I can relate very much to that. I can say this is the best course I’ve taken so far on Udemy and I look forward to taking another one in the near future.” Delali (Udemy Student)
Business Strategy Execution: The Agile/Lean Way
This is a comprehensive, 18 hour course, that takes the student through the process of aligning the organization’s culture and capabilities to the strategic business goals of the organization.The student will learn to analyze the landscape, align the internal technical systems (work process), social systems, and economic system to achieve business strategy.This process will engage the maximum number of leaders and team members in the process of building the future culture and capabilities that will lead to sustainable performance.
What Will I Learn?
- To create a process of agile action to achieve strategic business goals.
- To align the internal technical systems (work process), social systems, and economic system to achieve business strategy.
- To achieve agile adaptation and alignment of the organizations systems, structure, skills, style and symbols.
- To engage the maximum number of leaders and associates in the process of building the future culture and capabilities that will lead to sustainable performance.
Designing the System of Lean Culture and Implementing Continuous Improvement & Toyota Production System
The instructor has been engaged in implementing lean culture and leadership for more than forty years, working with companies like Honda, Toyota, Shell Oil Company, Corning, Merck and dozens of others. This course is based on his practical field tested knowledge of lean culture and leadership. The course introduces the history of lean, the essential principles and practices, and the important functions of the lean leader. It also presents the two critical paths to lean implementation: first, the redesign of processes, systems and structure to create the foundation that enables teams to engage in continuous improvement; second, it presents the essential habits of teams and team leaders engaged in problem-solving and continuous improvement.
- “I really like the short and to the point lectures; the diagrams are great for the visual learners (me!) as well the sheet for identifying your clients, goals will be useful. This was round one as I find reviewing these programs more then once helps in establishing a game plan for my work place.” Sherry Jackson
- “I have had the pleasure of working with and learning from Larry Miller. This course was very informative and has given me some great ideas and tools to strengthen my coaching abilities.” Jane McDonald
- “The topics this course covers are very pertinent to the workplace today. The content is precise, addresses a variety of scenarios well; and the teacher has command over the subject matter. This is the kind of course that managers (and team members) should even revisit from time to time.” Sarwar Kamal
What Will I Learn?
- Implement continuous improvement and lean culture (Toyota Production System).
You will be able to eliminate waste and engage your team members in an on-going process of continuous improvement (kaizen).
You will design a system of natural work and management teams who engage in continuous improvement.
- The student completing this course will know the essential problem solving methods employed in continuous improvement and will be able to lead his or her team in continuous improvement.
Great leaders know their principles, their beliefs, and ethics. Now, perhaps more than ever, we need leaders who are grounded in a set of principles that makes them trustworthy and worthy of our dedication. Leaders generate dedication and loyalty based on their adherence to principles. This course is for all leaders, those aspiring to leadership, and for entrepreneurs who have the golden opportunity to create a culture that will attract the best talent and promote high performing teams.
- The student will learn why principles are at the core of effective leadership.
- The student will be offered nine principles that have proven to be central to all great leaders.
- You will be asked to examine your own principles and commit to those principles.
Most organizations are adopting lean culture and leadership. However, many are struggling to create a sustainable change in the habits of continuous improvement, teamwork and problem-solving. Training alone is insufficient. Face-to-face coaching is required. The cost of external coaching is too great and most companies do not have sufficient internal coaches. The only solution is to do what Toyota has done – develop internal coaching skills and provide that coaching to peer managers and teams. This is the Leader Coach. This online course is intended to provide the needed coaching process and skills to enable line mangers to become coaches to other managers and to their subordinates.
- To coach leaders and managers to improve key performance measures.
- To coach leaders and managers to develop the critical skills of team leadership.
- To coach leaders and managers to develop the habit patterns that lead to a high performing organization.
All living things follow a path from birth to death, from the chaos of rapid growth to the stability of maturity and then decay. The study of civilizations and corporations proves a similar life cycle of integration and then disintegration and leaders are the primary cause of both. Durig this course you will assess your own leadership style, the dominant style of your organization, and place your organization on the life cycle curve. You will understand the attributes of leaders who can renew and rescue a company from what may appear to be the inevitable decline. And, you will understand the necessary diversity of leadership styles required to maintain a company or culture in a mature state.
What Will I Learn?
- To recognize the requirements of different life cycle stages of growth and decline
- To recognize the leadership styles and behavior associated with different stages of development.
- To assess your own leadership style.
- To be able to adjust your style to the needs of your organization.
“Fantastic: The quality of course design and the variety of examples were exemplary. I was so engaged and finished the course inspired to improve my own leadership based on what I learned. Thank you! ” Whitney Taylor
Motivation: The Science of Motivating Yourself and Your Team
There are two keys to success: competence and motivation. And, most important is becoming competent at motivating yourself and others. That is the purpose of this course.
- To gain mastery over your own behavior and to maximize your influence over your employees and associates.
- To optimize all sources of motivation. You will learn an inclusive model that includes a) spiritual motivations, b) social motivation, and c) situational sources of motivation and methods to apply each to your own life and within your organization.
- You will learn the “Coaching Kata”, a simple and proven method of coaching others to improve specific skills and behavior.
Giving and Receiving Feedback
Giving employees or team members feedback is an essential skill for every manager or team leader. Feedback should be a primary learning activity, welcomed as an opportunity for growth by the recipient. Unfortunately, very often feedback is viewed as punishment, a source of anxiety that inhibits one’s ability to learn. The purpose of this course is to help you develop the skill of giving feedback in a way that reduces anxiety and maximizes the opportunity for learning and continuous improvement on the part of the individual.
- You will learn the essential attitudes or mindset that leads to effective
- You will learn how and why feedback can go wrong and result in extreme anxiety on the part of both the giver and receiver of feedback.
- You will be able to use a structured model for giving feedback in a positive and helpful way.
- You will assure behavior change by developing action plans and accountability.
- You will also practice a model for receiving feedback in a manner that will maximize the value of feedback received.
Team Facilitation: The Core Skill of Great Team Leaders
If you are an entrepreneur, a manager wanting to move up in responsibility, or someone who simply wants to work well with others, this course provides the essential skills of leading teams. You cannot succeed today without the skills of leading groups well.
What Will I Learn?
- To gain an understanding of the essential skills and behavior of effective team leaders.
- To practice those behaviors that lead to optimum participation and commitment to action by team members.
- To learn the critical listening skills that are essential to all personal communications and to team leadership.
- To understand when and how to use each of three decision-making styles: command, consultative and consensus.
- To learn how to both give and receive feedback, or “straight-talk”, in a manner that leads of learning and continuous improvement.
- To learn the critical skills of effective leading virtual teams to effective performance.